Thursday, October 13, 2005

Good thing I like needles

Most poking I've had in a while

OK, so on Monday I had a free flu shot that was offered to teachers. Stood in a loooong line with a friend at our Teachers Institute (not quite what you might think) to take advantage of the freebie. I've had flu shots before without any ill effect, and actually like getting stuck by needles.

[Wanted to stand in the blood donation line, but until they instate a new half-pint policy, I'll never meet the required weight minimum. No matter how much I'd love to donate blood (I think that'd be the coolest), I refuse to get that fat for them. Hope I can say that a decade from now as I get heavier and heavier...]

Tuesday morning rolls around, I take a shower and realize as I'm getting ready for work that I'm surprisingly uncomfortable. This was after the shower and a few sips of coffee; I should be feeling pretty decent by now. But no..my lower back aches really bad and my stomach..is f*cken messed up.

Wednesday goes by. Same, uh, sh*t. Thursday beckons and I tell myself that enough's enough. I called in sick today (Thursday) and made an appointment with my doctor to see what the heck is wrong with me.

At my insistence the test for kidney infection was taken (I swore was the culprit), and results given while I waited. I was so bummed when they came in negative because that meant I'd have to go home without antibiotics which I *knew* would make me feel better. If I had a kidney infection like two years ago when I went kayaking for the first time and had to wade around in less-than-clean water, I'd be cured!

Had a couple of vials of blood taken (ohyeah, for some reason I've always liked that part) to see of other parts of me are malfunctioning. My doctor will be on leave in a couple of days, so if I remember to call tomorrow, I'll find out my results earlier than normal.

So here I sit, uncomfortable and bummed, and a little bit scared to find out what the bloodwork will show. I have my own suspicions what might be the problem, and if it turns out to be that, then I've been my own worse enemy.

Or it could be, as ladies my age are telling me (from experience), that it's hormonal. Hah. I refuse to believe that crap..for now. In my mind, "hormonal" is a catch-all phrase for normal sh*t that's hard to diagnose. Or something. As I've said before, I intend to flit through that stage without noticing it much.

No, I don't think the flu shot on Monday was the cause of all this. But wouldn't it be nice to blame it on something??

8 comments:

Joey Polanski said...

Aaaaaah ... I dont blieve nunna this. Youll say anything just t get t have more blood drawn! Yer like a backwerd vampire!

P.S. Im strangely NONaverse t needle sticks too. Whenevr I gotta have blood drawn or getta shotta sompm, I like t pretend that I aint been stuck yet. Like AFTER I no the needls been in an out, THEN I says t the nurse "Okay. Im ready. Make it quik please."

P.P.S. WV = "ycpeefer"
Oh! Enless posibilitys!

-Tommy said...

My uneducated bet is the flu shot. But then I don't know everything. Back in chiro school Trace was the resident expert at needle sticks. We had to stick each other for the blood draw class at least twice a week! I still have the poke scars that make me look like a reformed junky. Hehe.

PW "eyqvhu" eyqvhu, too, now put the bottle down...

HissyFitz said...

joey: I don't think it's strange to be NONadverse to needle sticks, I think those who faint at the sight of a needle or blood are the strange ones.

Maybe I'm weird (just maybe), but, I've also never understood why most ppl seem to have an innate fear of snakes. Sadly, we have no snakes in our state, but I always knew I'd love them. So when I had the chance I'd visit them in pet stores in PA and CA, giving my sad story about how we have none, and drew crowds as they handed me snake after snake to play with. I love (non-venomous) snakes, hence my moniker, Hissyfitz.

==========

tom: So both you and your wife went to chiro school? I don't understand, tho, about the needle-sticking in chiro school. My chiro doesn't seem to do that to his patients. Maybe if I ask nicely ;)

I would *really* like to be able to donate blood, but they refuse to fill the collection bags 1/2 or 3/4 full, and of course, will never come out with 1/2 pint bags. Imagine how many willing, but too-light, volunteers they're missing out on.

-Tommy said...

Yes, Mz. Fitz, we are closet chiropractors. We gave it up tho, for the pursuit of other things. It's a long story...

Part of the curriculum was a phlebotomy course. Of course, most states in the union won't allow chiros to stick and indeed, most chiros will tell you they were never interested in drawing their own samples.


PW: iusea. Appropriately enough; Iusea be a chiropractor, now Isea an actor...

HissyFitz said...

Chiropractor to actor. (Hey, "actor" is in "chiropractor", but I'm sure you knew that.) I'm sure there were compelling reasons, and at least you don't have to hear about ppl's aches and pains.

I'm glad my chiro didn't switch to another calling. Today I reluctantly submitted to a new machine/treatment of his that has helped me tremendously. Ooh, something to blog about.. :)

WV: gaptin as in "Gaptin, duh passedgers in goach are askig whed the boovie will start." Helps if you hold your nose..

-Tommy said...

Pray tell, what machine is this? I used to tell people I just cut the first seven letters of chiropractor and viloa, instant career change!

WV: higtk, Hmmm, I wonder if your chiro's new gadgetis one o them higtk thingys you see in sharper image?

HissyFitz said...

tom: The machine is the only one on the island, and really doesn't have to do w/chiropractic. It's an endermologie "therapeutic massage treatment" machine. Oooh..

I just call it a miracle.

Joey Polanski said...

I got a miracle machine too. I call it COFFEE MAKER.

WV: "lrucdlpp"
My coffee maker jus said that!