Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Yes, thank you, I do know about Apple's transition to Intel

Guess it's big news

Anyone reading this (if anyone ever bothers) can refrain from emailing me about it. I suppose I'm a novelty to those who aren't Apple aficionados (read: everyone else who uses a computer) and those who haven't been under a rock for the last few days and have heard the news want to pass it on to the probably-only Apple fan they know. As if there'd be a chance an Apple fan wouldn't already know.

There are many reasons Apple opted to go with Intel, and some we probably won't know for a while, if ever. But one I read tonight had a "different" slant to it (and if you were an Apple fan, you'd know how special it was to "Think Different"). The PowerPC processor production was limited (though widely viewed as more elegant), so a decision had to be made, but this still made me sad:
"Macs are now slightly less special."

*sniff* But won't they will soon be the only truly cross-platform computer? Or something. Like I know.

PS: In my heart, Macs and Apples will always be special and different. And, as someone pointed out to me recently, that's what I seem to find appealing. I don't consciously seek those out, but after thinking about it, I guess I kind of like liking what's not quite in the mainstream: my computer, my car (well, it's getting more popular; damn Scion marketing), my taste in music, even my catsicle.

Different = special?

No comments: