Tuesday, June 14, 2005

International Weblogger's Day

I'd be remiss if I didn't participate

While the rest of the world has moved on to the day-after International Blogger's Day, here in Hawaii I still have couple of hours. [Thanks to Willy for alerting me to this event!]

June 14th is the day webloggers around the world "celebrate a year's worth of changing the way the Internet sees personal journalism." Participants were asked to tell why they started blogging, whether they thought bloggers had a lot of power (and how it could be harnessed), and why they thought weblogging has become so popular.

Some blogs have changed the way news is disseminated, and others have made huge impacts regarding political agendas. Then there are blogs like mine that just kind of ramble on about stuff that pop into my non-political, non-news-impacted head, but hey, it's fun.

If I can talk to myself online, anyone can. The question is: why would anyone choose to? Depending on your circle of readers, I believe serious bloggers with the right (and most popular) followings can make some sort of difference...and have. There's definitely power in numbers.

But why do the rest of us do it? Because we CAN. The playing field has been leveled. It feeds egos and immortalizes our words.

Ahh, more satisfactory than scribbling into the litttle diary kept hidden under the bed.

No comments: