Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Hurricane Katrina tragedy

f*cken looters are just making it worse

I only know one person living in Louisiana, and, thankfully, he and his wife and doggie are safe. They're in Shreveport, which wasn't affected, but, ohmygosh, New Orleans may not recover for years.

The stories coming out of Mississippi and New Orleans are just terrible. And all the thousands of poor people who lost their homes and took shelter in the broken-down Superdome who will have to move (or have moved already) to the Astrodome in Texas...nearly 25,000, ohmy. They're saying they could be there for weeks..!

Yeah, I just said in the entry below that human tragedies don't affect me as much as sad animal tales, but I guess I lied. The story of the woman whose common-law husband died while she was out trying to get help and the difficulty she had getting assistance with taking his body to the morgue; the suffering and loss; and just about every article I read in the papers is almost too heartbreaking to take. (I rarely watch TV so haven't seen much in the way of disaster footage, thank goodness.)

But the looters breaking into stores and even hospitals, and crazies who are robbing and attacking people as needy as they are, should be shot by those in authority who also seem to be losing control as well as their grasp of what's right and wrong. Oh, never mind, it seems that they're already been shooting it out.

People need to fr*cken BEHAVE and HELP each other, dammit! Tragedies can bring out the worst in human nature. But, as in the case of 9/11, it can also bring out the best. Maybe the media is focusing on mostly the worst, for some reason, but I feel like people are truly taking advantage of the situation. I mean, what the hell are they going to do with so many TVs, shoes, iPods, whatever??

Want to help ? I was hoping there'd be a nifty little PayPal link like there was for 9/11 donations, but I didn't see one yet. But there is this (NetworkForGood.org).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wonder what the collective thought is on Kauai?