Friday, August 19, 2005

Back to the grind

Or How I Spent the Last Week of My Summer Vacation

School will start for students on Tuesday, but you wouldn't think so by the state of some of the classrooms undergoing renovation. Most of the boxes and computers are stacked up in the lab (where I live), but the furniture is still out in the hall, interior painting isn't done (and might not ever be since the painters walked off the job a few days ago), and everything is covered with a layer of paint dust and other debris. At least we got our lights hooked up yesterday.

*Sigh* I'm not enjoying the craziness at work, but it's good to be back home to my own old house and my own mellow fat cat. Freakazoid Frankie kitty is the most aggressive, chomp-crazy feline I've ever met. I've got the bite marks and scratches to prove it. Lucky thing for him that he's cute and tiny.

Seeing Butch live was pretty much everything I expected it to be, and it was great to be able to sneak down to the floor section and sit with a fellow fan the second night. I'll definitely need to go to one of his headlining tours when the timing is right. It's not aways easy to just fly off to the mainland during the work week.

While I didn't go shopping much, I did stop by some places I've always thought Hawaii could use: Ikea, Olive Garden, and of course, Trader Joe's. On Sunday we met up with my brother at The Grove, which is a cool collection of stores, restaurants, and a theater (similar to Universal City Walk, but a little more upscale). Right next to The Grove is the historic Farmer's Market; a maze of vendors, various ethnic restaurants, and little shops.

Krispy Kreme gives out entire doughnuts as samples when their Hot Doughnuts Now sign is lit.

Movie ticket prices are $10 in LA. Gas is even more expensive than here, but varies widely, even within gas stations across the street from each other.

LA drivers have got to be the worst. Well, maybe not as bad as the crazies in big cities on the East Coast. I've gained a new appreciation for our safe-but-slow Hawaii drivers.

Smog sucks.

LA_trip_collage

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back :-)

HissyFitz said...

Thanks!

You must've commented just as this entry went up, since I had to put it on hold while I fixed the links.

Anonymous said...

Hey, did you bring back any Krispy Kreme donuts? *heh*

Having an Olive Garden here would be nice since I'm the kind of person they probably don't want taking advantage of that soup salad and bread special :-)

By the way, your appreciation for Hawaii drivers may last only as long as your next traffic jam!

HissyFitz said...

Nope, no doughnuts, so your best bet would be to buy some kid's fundraiser/flown-in-from-Maui doughnuts.

Olive Garden's menu keeps changing, I'm sure you'd find something much more enticing than soup/salad, tho that's just as yummy as I remember it.

Traffic jams in Hawaii are nothing like LA's, esp since there are longer distances to go nowhere fast.