Monday, March 27, 2006

Public transportation ain't so bad

in spite of the rain

rainy_day_adventure.jpg

I took my poor, keyed Scion to the body shop this morning. The street was ponding as I got out of the car. Stepped in a submerged pothole, so by the time I got to the office, I looked pretty pathetic. They took pity on me, gave me a bunch of paper towels and a ride to the mall where I was to catch the bus. Who knows, I might've drowned, otherwise.

Nothing was really open at the time except Starbucks (of course), a couple of eateries, and the supermarket. I was bummed that the new Borders, with their yummy Cinnamon Dolce Latte, wouldn't open until 9:00 am, so I just wandered around..and took pictures. Kind of wanted to, but didn't, take pics of the homeless hanging around the market. Actually, I tried to avoid them, especially the ones talking loudly and gesturing to who knows what.

Tried to clean up and dry out in the bathroom. Several others came in looking pretty soggy, but no one but me took pictures of herself looking like that :)

The last time I took TheBus was probably decades ago. The actual ride was pleasant, but I almost wasn't on it. It appeared on time, but passed right on by! If it weren't for a stop sign a little ways down that gave us a chance to run after it, we would've had to wait another hour for the next one. The driver claimed that wasn't his stop, even tho it was clearly marked and I had spoken to a supervisor earlier to confirm the time and location. (Yeah, I submitted a complaint online a few minutes ago. So there.)

The bus was pretty empty because most people going in that direction hopped on the more-frequent Waikiki buses. Ahh, Waikiki. Instead of the usual sunburned tourists, there were umbrellas, sandbags, puddles and more rain. At least Diamond Head was greener than usual, but no one would want to hike it today.

Won't get my car back until Friday, but will borrow one of my dad's cars 'til then so I won't be doing any more bus-riding for a while.

4 comments:

HissyFitz said...

I've been told that that is a "horrible" picture of me and that I should remove it. This, from a supposed friend who refuses to visit this blog and can only make negative comments when I bring it up.

Well, sh*tyeah, that photo's no glamour shot -- I had been in the rain, was taking it w/o flash against a bathroom mirror, with a camera held at an unflattering angle. That was kinda the point, dumb@ss.

Joey Polanski said...

Tis a good pitchr! Ya look kinda like a fotojurinalist ready t pounce on a news event.

Bsides ... ya look pretty GOOD soggy! Yer frend mite be jellous.

-Tommy said...

Damn, I keep missing the new flurry of posts. I have to keep up.

I think you look pretty peachy, Fitz. Or is that Fitzy peachy prett?

HissyFitz said...

Thanks, guys, but I know I'm not the tight little perky self I was, oh, couple o' decades ago. No, my friend isn't jealous, just wanted to "helpfully" point out how old and droopy I looked. :(

Ooh, peachy fitz, or fitzy peach, would be a great name for a drink! Peach schnapps, Grand Marnier, OJ, splash of cranberry, and seltzer or something -- yumm!