Sunday, April 23, 2006

Definitely hate Definately

Think there's a trend?

Months ago I lamented the decline in people's spelling abilities, which shouldn't rear its ignorant head in this day and age of spell-check. A while back I ranted about the use of "there's" when "there're" is meant, and, more recently, complained about the stupid new use of the word "random". Can't help it, it's the teacher in me.

What's been bugging me for a while now is the misspelled usage of "definitely". Because kids (and adults!) see it misspelled so often online, I think those who are on a shaky ground, spelling-wise, probably think that's the correct spelling. I mean, if so many people are spelling it EXACTLY that way, it must be right, right? WRONG!!

What freaked me out was the email I received from a TEACHER on Friday, with that damn misspelled word!! I've read it in other adults' writings and could brush it off, but auuugh, no, not from a teacher!!

UrbanDictionary.com even lists "definately", with this as its first entry:

Idiot-speak for "definitely". One of the most common moronic misspellings found on the internet.

4 comments:

Joey Polanski said...

Ive seen a English teachr use "should of", "would of", & "could of".

Joaquin Mattison said...

I will remember that most definitely.

HissyFitz said...

joey: Yikes, did anyone correct that teacher?

salbert: Let's spread the word and get everyone to do the same!

Joey Polanski said...

No.

But I saved some e-mails she sent.

Ya no ... fer blackmail perpuses.

;)