Saturday, April 08, 2006

After the storms

The weather's been gorgeous all week*. Tourists are back in the relatively sewage-free waters of Waiklki, potholes are being filled, cars are being dug out of landslides, yards and homes are drying out. Mazes of yellow tape are a little less labyrinthian.

Huh?

A little background info: the mall near my house was flooded last Friday as water overflowed the street, crashed through walls in the theaters, and swept through the different wings of the mall. It was closed for several days, and while most of the stores have since re-opened, some still are boarded up or shrouded in plastic. GNC had reopened earlier in the week, but just as I was about to make my purchase, there was a power outage so had to return today to buy my bars. Yellow tape mazes still wind throughout the mall, but as the floors are repaired, they're being removed, so there's a little less zigging and zagging to get from point A to point B.

kahala_mall_maze.jpg

* Would've been a great night for a U2 concert :(

3 comments:

Joey Polanski said...

I no somone who was sposta acompany her sistr on a upcomin trip t Hawayi but, causa some famly-relatd mattr, now is forcd t back out. I tol her bout yer rports of th floodin an sugjestd that she wont be missin much by not goin t Hawayii in th near future.

I think Ill keep a lid on alla this "weathrs been gorgeous" talk fer a wile. Slective leakin ... ya no?

Joaquin Mattison said...

It hailed here for the first time in years on Sunday. The rain was the first since February, it poured.

About U2, who isn't a fan?

About the mall, the Starbucks was fine right? What about the other one in the mall and the other one and the other one....

HissyFitz said...

joey: The rains are finally over, so your friend would've been OK if she had made the trip. Might be wise of her sister to stay out of certain waters, tho..eww.

Hey, tonite's word verification is your kinda word: kbglgkski!

============

salbert: You'll be relieved to know that our one and only Starbucks at that not-really-large mall is doing fine, in fact, that's where I went on Saturday morning when I took the pics. Something's sure happening w/the weather, and I don't know if we can blame in on el Nino or supposed global warming.

Still holding on to my U2 tickets. I'm confident that they'll make their way back here.