Friday, June 16, 2006

I was phone-phished by Sam-I-Am!

I received a call from a male with a heavy pseudo-sounding accent today. At first I thought it was a joke.
Sam: Hello, I am [garbled] from [garbled] [garbled] [garbled] calling about your domain ***.com.
Me: I'm sorry, who is this?
Sam: My name is S-- (garbled again, but definitely started w/an S), calling from Domain Registry [garbled] about your domain..
Me: Who? Calling from Domain Registry what? (By now I figured this was either a joke or a scam, so figured it was OK to be a bit rude.)
Sam: I am Sam (I think) calling from Domain Registry S-- [garbled]
Me: OK. I understand Domain Registry, I get your junk mail all the time, but what is that word that you're saying after that?
Sam: S-- [garbled] (his obvious attempt at enunciation made it even worse)
Me: Sorry, please spell that.
Sam: s-u-p-p-o-r-t, supppououurrrt
Me: Oh! OK, support! Don't tell me you guys are now actually CALLING people??
Sam: Yes, this is about your domain, ***.com
Me: Heh, ok, what are you trying to ask me?
Sam: We need your fax number to send you more information.
Me: More information about what?
Sam: We need your fax number to send it to you.
Me: But what kind of information do you want to send? Can't you tell me what it is now, over the phone?
Sam: No, we need your fax number...
Me: Hey, this is actually getting pretty funny if you're for real. Can't you at least tell me what kind of information you want to send?
Sam: silence
[disconnect]
I was actually a little disappointed the guy didn't try harder. Did a little bit of research after I hung up, and found that others have had similar experiences. Turns out DomainRegistry.com knows about it this scam (they even received a phone call from them!) and says their company has nothing to do with these guys. They just want to spam-fax owners of domains in hopes of transferring them to their company -- the same thing Domain Registry does, but by email and snail mail.

They probably got my phone number by doing a whois, but I already had a fax number listed. My other domain names don't show my phone number or any other personal information, and thought this one didn't either. It doesn't anymore!

2 comments:

Joey Polanski said...

Sam shoud be whoist with his own petard.

HissyFitz said...

Ahh, I think I could've done enough damage if he had just stayed on the line.