Saturday, April 30, 2005

Tiger Unleashed

Only the latest, greatest OS release

Tiger sign Ala Moana

6:00 last night was the was the release of "Tiger", Apple's OS X version 10.4. For non-Apple aficionados, this probably means absolutely nothing.

But for me and a surprisingly large number of Apple fans, this was a biggie, and the line winding around the mall level outside the Apple Store at Ala Moana Shopping Center attested to that.

Eye candy aside (of the oooh variety, really!), the 200+ new features have to be experienced to be fully appreciated. I suggest you stop by the Apple Store and check it out for yourself. I don't know if there will be as many Apple employees at your beck and call as there were last night, but even if you have to wait a bit for one to help you, it will be worth it. They were all very enthusiastic and seemed more knowledgeable than at other times I've been there. They were definitely perky and the store was like one huge party.

Everyone who entered the store was a "winner", meaning the scratch card we were each given was worth something. Mine was a 10% discount on anything purchased that night, but useless to me since I wasn't there to buy anything (got everything Mac-related I need for now). My friends got cards for a free iTunes song each, and even after I showed them what that was, they weren't interested, so I scored theirs. I gave my 10% discount card to a couple who had just walked in and hadn't scratched their card yet. The husband thanked me for the card because he was thinking of making a purchase, and the wife scratched theirs to reveal that they had won an iPod Shuffle! She didn't seem too thrilled (I told her she was supposed to jump up and down and scream), and her husband explained that it was because she didn't know what a Shuffle was. wow.

Pre-ordered my copy a while ago and installed on a 17" G5 iMac this morning. Purrrty. Won't be installing it on my older laptop 'til others do first, tho (go for it, Willy!).

I've always wondered why the average person would intentionally choose to suffer with Windows. Oh, yeah, because it's pre-installed on every PC clone out there and seems to be cheaper at first blush. I guess if you don't mind spending futile hours (if not days/weeks) trying to rid your computer of spyware and viruses, and installing constant patches to Micro$oft's inherent flaws and vulnerabilities, then I guess it's for you. If you want a safer, more elegant, feature-rich, and definitely more esthetically-pleasing OS and hardware, get a Mac.

Look who did:

Tiger comic - Joy of Tech

No comments: