Saturday, April 09, 2005

I Know Why We Have So Many Dinosaurs in the Yard!

They have absolutely no shame -- or self-control!

This afternoon I almost stepped on one of those dinosaurs as I was walking out from my parents' home next door (see April 6th's entry if you don't know what they are). I thought it was a youngster because it was smooth and didn't have the dark markings like the one I took pictures of. It didn't seem too afraid of me as I bent to take a closer look. Then I noticed a larger, uglier one about a foot and a half away, who definitely didn't seem to be frightened at all, in fact he blew his dewlap thingie and made threatening head gestures at me.

I thought he didn't like the fact that I was bothering the smooth one and was trying to scare me away. As he took a few steps toward it, I, in my naiveté, thought he was protecting it. Was I wrong!

I spent the next few minutes marveling at the absolute lack of shyness and disregard for this human watching them as he proceeded to climb on HER back and take a tiny little nip on the skin of her neck. I broke them up, but he climbed back on and did it again. He stayed on as she took a couple of steps. Nothing seemed to be happening and I couldn't figure out how he was gonna get any action while on her back, when he suddenly thrust (heh) one leg under hers and angled himself so he could..reach ;)

I didn't think it was right to break 'em up again, so I tried to get a better look (never saw a lizard's lizard before), but couldn't see anything even tho I was just a couple of inches away from them as they seemed frozen in place. Then, barely after he finally got down to business, they shook themselves loose and went separate ways.

I went back in to tell my parents what I'd witnessed, and when I came out, there he was, back at the spot I first saw him. Probably waiting for his next quickie.

No wonder we have so many dinosaurs in the yard: they don't care to get a room (or get out of the way) even when some rude human repeatedly tries to shoo them apart. When the urge hits, I guess it doesn't matter who's around, and by the looks on that guy's face as he was waiting for his next date, the urge probably hits often!

No comments: