Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Generations Apart

Butch Walker fans / Eagles fans

A message posted on the Butch Walker message board today:

how can all of you afford to travel so much to these shows? do your parents pay for it? im just curious since it seems like a lot of you travel to a bunch of the shows on a tour.

An earlier post from the Eagles board:

I took my daughter, 13 years old at the time, along to Earls Court to complete her musical education. Having grown up with me as her dad she had little option but to listen to the Eagles (I believe in bringing up chidren properly) and was going through a phase of listening to the "Eagles Live" album, enthusing particularly about "Seven Bridges Road".

I shall never, ever forget the look in her eyes when the concert opened with that very song.


After the Eagles concerts next week, I probably won't be seeing them for a while, if ever. I've actually outgrown them, but felt obligated to go to all four Honolulu concerts since they'll probably not come this way again. While I wouldn't fit in the crowd that follows Butch on tour, I'd love to be able to catch him a couple of times a year. It sucks to be thousands of miles away, in the middle of an ocean. But at least I don't have to have my parents subsidize my habits. (To their credit, most of the younguns who do follow Butch earn their own money or save up their allowances...)

Of course, when I hear The Eagles' perfect five-part harmony perform Seven Bridges Road a cappella next week, I won't be thinking about Butch a bit.

11 comments:

Joey Polanski said...

Hotel California came out durin th time I was takin guitar lessons. Twas pretty cool when my teachr taut me th chords fer th titl song -- wich is (sorry t say) th ONLY Eagles song that REALY dose it fer me.

So ... CMON! Give us da skinny on th funraiser from hell!

HissyFitz said...

What a coincidink. I'm listening to one of the live versions of Hotel California now, gotta get myself psyched for the concerts. Do you still play?

All the Don songs do it for me (best were written/sung by the Don). I was seriously into him for a while.

Fundraiser is done. History. Pau (Hawaiian for 'finished') except for scattered detritus and boring cr*p in the form of bounced checks, non-payments, etc. No need to dredge up all the f*ck-ups that were out of my control. There's always next year.

Joey Polanski said...

Yeah, Ill say THIS fer th Eagles too: Don Henley is a grate singer. I aint sure which songs he rote. If he sing it, dose that mean he rote it?

An do his lyricks ever vialate th laws o logick? Cause you no I cant stan that!

Some other Eagles songs I kinda like: "Take It t th Limit," "Already Gone," "Desperado," "New Kid in Town," "Horse Wit No Name."

AAAAAAAA! GOTCHA on dat las one! But Im on da level bout them othr ones.

I aint playd guitar inna long wile. Some chick I no stole my guitar. Sbout time I gitta new one anyhow.

-Tommy said...

I remeber taking drum lessons and wanting my teachr show me everything abou tmetal he knew. I showed up form my Saturday lesson and there he was teaching me In The City. He said the subtleties of the playing is what seperates a drummer from a guy who hits stuff with sticks. That and a drummer that can sing while playing. Took me years to learn that lesson.

Welcome back by the way...

Joey Polanski said...

Remines me o sompm a perfesser o mine usta say. He usta play drums an he absalutely HATED Ginger Baker. Said e was "just a banger." Usta say Ginger Baker was t drummin what Georg Forman was t boxin. Just a pounder.

WV = "fabak" (Faye back?)

HissyFitz said...

joey: Yep, the rule usually stands w/the Eagles that the guy who wrote the song (or most of it) sings it. And Don's voice still can make me swoon, even tho he (and the others) are definitely heading towards geezerville.

Can't be 100% sure, but I think his lyrics would withstand your logic test. Especially his solo stuff. His videos on the other hand..augh. Aside from the great B&W "Boys of Summer" video, some others are downright weird. Creepy.

HissyFitz said...

tom: Thanks, glad to be back, tho I think I'll probably stop by once a week or so. Not prolific like you guys.

"In the City" is a great Joe Walsh song that will probably be the 9th song (of 27) played at the four Honolulu concerts! So did you learn to play/sing to that song?

I don't know anything about drumming, but can definitely appreciate the fact that my Don is able to play drums and sing beautifully at the same time. In concert he's given a guitar to play when not on the drums, but it's mostly a prop so he's not the only one of five empty-handed.

HissyFitz said...

joey: Yes, Faye's back..but probably will stop by once a week or so, if I can even muster enough to say that often. Ummm..did I mention my name is Faye? In my other blog I do, and on some pics/webpages/links here. Ohyeah, heh, I have a domain w/my name, forgot about that. :)

Joey Polanski said...

Yeah, I had ya INVESTIGATD, Hiss! Im J. Edger Polanski! Nah ... Saw yer links list and went from dare.

"Boys of Summer" was populer shortly after I moved inta my firs apartment a my own, so it carrys special memries fer me.

Joaquin Mattison said...

Eagles... I don't know if I've heard them before... well happy Thanksgivin'! I got a good recipe at my blog if you like Kahlua and Sweet Potatoe Casserole.

HissyFitz said...

joey: Yeah, I forgot about those links. Should get rid of the FayesFotos one since that taking-pictures-while-driving project never took off.

salbert: Uh..do you really not know who the Eagles are? No, not the football team...