Saturday, February 10, 2007

Opening Day

Apple Store #2

Arrived a few hours early sporting my original iPod t-shirt and was among the first 20 in line for the opening of the new Apple Store in Kahala Mall. Years ago when our first Apple Store opened, I snagged pretty much the same place in line. The first guy arrived today around 3:00 am, but spent a couple of lonely hours alone for the honor.

Fortified by a yummy Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce (no fat, no whip), the morning newspaper, my U2 iPod, and the company of fellow Apple fans, I waited out the hours chatting with and taking pictures of other MacNuts. The obligatory Hawaiian blessing and dances provided a break in the monotony.

Attempts by employees to rouse the crowd (which eventually wrapped around the inside of the mall) were semi-successful, though everyone was a good sport and played along. I was among the first to enter when the doors opened, grabbed my freebie way-too-large XL Apple Store t-shirt (with "Kahala" printed on it), high-fived the employees who greeted us, then stepped aside to take more pictures.

I'd say the highlight was setting as many computers as I could to Rocky's iPod ad I made years ago, and watching the reactions.

opening_day_composite.jpg

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aloha! I was there too! Always a good time. (Ala Moana was something, as well.) Nice shirt, great report, and cool photos!

I posted cameraphone shots from the scene:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/tags/applestorekahala/

And here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPHCcK98NRo

Malama pono!

HissyFitz said...

Thanks, I had actually seen your photos and video earlier in the evening via TUAW.

Your Lightfantastic site is very impressive!

Sefton said...

Do the Apple Shirts still come in tubes? I have an original one from Southpoint in the old school Garamond font and a Legacy Village one with the new Apple font. Both are still in their tubes and have never been worn. I'm jealous that you got a Hawaiian one, though :)

Andrea Peace said...

@hissyfitz: Thanks. I know, "Impressive" is a nice way of saying, "Too much time on your hands."

@jedimacfan: They came in a very cool origami-esque cardboard box, but no tube. I loved the tube, and so like you, I never opened my Ala Moana shirt. But the Kahala box was ripped open and the shirt worn the very next day! I do like the black...

HissyFitz said...

My Ala Moana shirt is still in its nifty tube, and I'm thinking of putting the black Kahala one in there with it. Both XL shirts are too large to wear, anyway, and I have enough too-big Apple shirts that I use as sleep shirts.

Sefton said...

One of the guys who works at the Ala Moana store transferred from the store that I worked at in Ohio. Small world.

Sefton said...

Oh, and if either of you are interested in selling a Hawaiian Apple shirt let me know :)

HissyFitz said...

Not mine, I never sell my Apple stuff. Got posters, mugs, pens, a watch, close to 20 t-shirts..but I know someone who might be willing to part w/his, if you're serious.

Sefton said...

Yea, I'm serious, as long as the shirt is still in its box/tube and it doesn't cost me as much as a new car :)

HissyFitz said...

Ooh, now I wanna sell you mine.

Not.

My friend said he's willing to sell his. I suggested you two do the deal and leave me out of it :) Could you email me your contact info so I can pass it on to him?